Tuesday 16 October 2012

Welder Maintenance

In my "Day job" I am a maintenance electrician. Basically I am sad enough to fix things at work and at home
While stripping and repairing the mass-o-migs I have, I found this.


The pitting was caused by the nuts being loose on the stud. The nuts were holding the lug supplying current to the mig gun.
A bad joint here has caused arcing and damage to the threads.

Best result of this is a loss of weld quality. Worst case- fire

I have been sanding all contacts smooth and tightening them to effing tight.
These connections are usually in a location that the user can get to and check.
A little care and they will last a lot longer. I can't help but wonder if this was part of the reason these welders were offloaded in the first place.
by the end of today one more will be functioning. Resurrected
thanks

No comments:

Post a Comment